Hello and welcome to Abandoned Kansai!
My name is Florian Seidel and I’m a German expatriate living and working in Osaka, Japan.
In late 2009 I began with urban exploration in the Kansai area and since there was no English speaking homepage about the topic (most foreign urban explorers are located in Kanto, the area around Tokyo) I started this blog in January of 2010 to fill the gap. I’m a strict follower of the unwritten rule “take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints” and if it was for me I wouldn’t even climb fences or risk getting caught by security guards / neighbours / … – but I guess that’s part of urban exploration and therefore unavoidable if you want to take good pictures of the really interesting places…
All the pictures on this blog are taken with Nikon cameras (D90 / D7000) and the 18-200mm kit lens (locations shot after August 2010 most likely will include shots made with a Tokina 11-16mm lens), if nothing else is mentioned. I only shoot JPEG (I know, it’s a shame…) and I don’t do any post-production other than resizing the pictures. Once in a while I do some *tonemapped HDR photos which can be found here*.
If you want to drop me a line, please leave a comment or write to abandonedkansaiSPAMPROTECTION@gmail.com. (Without the capitalized part, of course…)
If you don’t want to miss the latest postings you can *follow Abandoned Kansai on Twitter* and *like this blog on Facebook* – and of course there is the *video channel on Youtube*…
By now quite a few huge websites quoted and linked Abandoned Kansai – amongst them were:
- io9 loving the abandoned Japanese Sex Museum
- Reddit and the discussion about the Shime Coal Mine being the perfect Anti-Zombie Fortress
- Knowyourmeme making the Anti-Zombie Fortress officially a meme
- Tofugu and their article about abandoned Japanese amusement parks
- neoteo mentioning the abandoned Japanese Sex Museum
- Aramatheydidn’t “republishing” Tofugu’s article
- Imagineeringdisney wrote an article about Nara Dreamland
- io9 picking up on the Anti-Zombie Fortress
- Wired and their article about haikyo